rayban Surf’s up at the MountThe

by on August 14, 2015, No Comments

Surf’s up at the Mount

The saga of Mt Maunganui’s artificial surf reef is coming to an end but it could be some time yet before it produces the waves envisaged.

The second, right breaking, side of the reef is nearing completion after $350,000 of donations received this winter allowed the stalled $1.5 million project to continue.

Work on the second section is expected to finish this week, but the Mount Reef Trust says surfers should not expect clean waves from the arrow shaped structure immediately.

Trust executive David Neilson said a storm was needed to wash out a sand bar that had unexpectedly formed in front of the reef.

“The seabe rayban d has risen, making the waves break in front of the reef instead of on it,” he said.

Mr Neilson was confident a strong northerly swell would get rid of the unw rayban anted sand, but could not predict when that would happen. “We can’t do anything about nature.”

The sand bar is just the latest hiccup in a project that has spanned 10 years and suffered financial, technical and weather difficulties.

Only the first half of the reef was finished after rough seas snapped an 8m anchor leg on a barge being used to secure the lattice framework to the seabed in November.

Both the barge and the frame needed repairs, delaying construction and increasing costs, which rose from an initial estimate of $1 million.

A window of fine weather and donations from Pub Charity ($200,000), Bay Trust ($80,000), Lion Foundation ($50,000), Perry Foundation ($15,000) and Southern Trust ($5000) allowed work on the right break to begin on September 15.

Another $50,000 is needed to complete the project.

A team of 12 has worked 16 hour rayban days to fill the bags, using rayban two barges, two diggers and two pipelines carrying sand.

The completed reef will have 24 bags filled with 6500cu m of sand. The bags range in size from 1m high and 35m long to 3.5m high and 50m long.

Mr Neilson said filling the bags on the right break had proved more difficult than the left because of the direction it faced.

Resulting ground swells made it extremely tough for divers to get the pipes into the bags.

“I thought this half would be all plain sailing but it’s just been a whole new set of issues,” he said, laughing.

The reef is about 250m offshore from Tay St, which is about five minutes’ drive south of the main beach. The bags range in size from 1m high and 35m long to 3.5m high and 50m long.

About the author

rayban Suspect Luka Rocco Magnotta wa

No Comments


No Comments

rayban Suspect in Violet church robbe

No Comments

rayban Suspect in US Craigslist killi

No Comments

rayban Suspect in shooting spree face

No Comments

rayban suspect in Park murder”The

No Comments